Friday, March 6, 2015

Bennett Email 8-14-14

Untitled
To: kelly.frost@comcast.net, stephanie.garrity@maryland.gov, ken.collins@maryland.gov
From: Dottiejobennett@aol.com
Date: 08/14/2014 02:29PM
Cc: TMoore@ccgov.org, amccarthy@ccgov.org, jbowlsbey@ccgov.org, mdunn@ccgov.org,
dbroomell@ccgov.org, rhodge@ccgov.org, laurie.humphries@maryland.gov
Subject: Re: Official Members of the Cecil County Drug and Alcohol Abuse Drug Council]...

Good afternoon Kelly,

As long as I am the Chair, the DAAC will not be spending time discussing the finances of the
Health Department related to substance abuse or investigating how the Health Department
spends its money. As I have discussed with Councilor Broomell several times, it is my opinion
that the DAAC is not an oversight or investigatory body. It is an advisory body, much like the
local Forestry Board, Ag Advisory Board, or the Sheriff's advisory board for CARC operations.
In my opinion, if you want the DAAC to function as an oversight Board, then you need to talk
with the Cecil County Delegation about changing the legislation that created the LDAACs to
specify the functions you want to see occur.

Consequently I will repeat my statement that a continued discussion of the Cecil Plan will not
be on the agenda for September. However, in December, we are required by statute to
discuss a 6 month update. However, I do not intend at that time to spend 1.5 hours discussing
the plan--only those issues that have seen progress over the 6 months.
I am also not going to engage in an extended dialogue with you over this issue. I assume
you will not be pleased with my response, and I suggest that you contact the County
Executive, as she is the appointing authority for citizen members, such as me and you.
John

_____
In a message dated 8/13/2014 11:32:30 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, kelly.frost@comcast.net
writes:

Ms Garrity,
That’s fine – Thank you - I’ll get with Ms Humphries mid week next week – Mr Bennett and/or
someone will have to assist me in putting the data in logical comprehensible order.
I’m thinking the best way would be to list it by Goal, if there is a better way, suggestions are
welcomed.

Mr Bennett,
Again, I would like to respectfully request the disclosure of this information to the members of
the LDAAC – to better inform/educate those that are permitted to vote (and non-inclusive of
those persons or organizations that have garnered financial gain directly or indirectly. I think it
just that we get to catch sight of what others value as important to assist with the Drug and
Alcohol, Overdose & Crime pandemic, we are experiencing. Thus the “Vote” should take place
AFTER the members have been properly informed as to what has already transpired. Please
place this on the agenda – disclosure is not a bad thing. Do you agree?

We need to ask ourselves, what can we do with those that are truly addicted to get them to
want sobriety and recovery ? Narcan is a preventative for death not a preventative for the
Overdose itself, thus I’d like to know how many of the deaths that do occur in our county, how
many were receiving active counseling and how many were receiving Methadone treatment?
How many times has Narcan been used this year – and is there a mandatory psychiatric
evaluation? One could argue that the very act of Over Dosing is on the verge of attempting to
commit suicide. How many Doctor’s can prescribe painkillers and then prescribe Methadone?
Why are we not addressing the Prescription Drug Monitoring Program and the known holes
with said program? Maybe we should look at this another way and address the causes versus
the effects. Maybe putting $$$ funding to a job placement services program – I’d like to know
how many of said people are gainfully employed.

Please contact me Mr Bennett, preferably before the end of the month, so we can assemble
the data accurately before distribution.

Kelly
.

No comments:

Post a Comment